You’ve probably heard of a “staycation” – the idea of holidaying in your home country rather than travelling abroad – but did you know that there’s a growing trend in the number of Brits choosing to holiday in the UK?
According to the latest data from the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA), the UK’s travel trade association:
- 72% of people took a UK break in the 12 months to August 2017
- there were over 3 million UK trips taken from January – August 2017
- Britons holidaying at home spent a record £7.9 billion in the same period
- people aged 35-44 are most likely to holiday in the UK, going on 2.5 trips per year
- 66% of the population is planning a UK break in 2018 – making it the nation’s favourite holiday destination (followed by Europe and the USA).
Thanks to the rise of staycations, leisure vehicle holidays are becoming more popular and there’s increased demand for caravans and motorhomes as people look to get out on the road and explore the country.
The National Caravan Council (NCC) – the UK’s trade body for the tourer, motorhome, caravan holiday home and residential park home industries – estimates that there are over a million leisure vehicles in use in the UK.
Jenny Summers, group marketing director of the NCC, said, “Sales of both motorhomes and caravans were up in 2017, with motorhome registrations rising by 14.9% and factory dispatches to dealers increasing by 8.7%.
“This clearly demonstrates the continuing popularity of using a leisure vehicle to explore the UK and beyond.”
And there’s a good reason why Brits are Europe’s biggest buyers of touring caravans (second only to the US in the global market) – leisure holiday vehicles offer a flexible, comfortable way to travel around the UK and take regular trips which fit around your lifestyle.
Benefits of staycationing in the UK
- There are many reasons to choose a UK break this summer – here’s just a few.
- Enjoy all our country has to offer, from the great British seaside to beautiful national parks and historic heritage sites.
- Make your holiday money go further by spending it here rather than in countries where the pound is weaker compared to the local currency since the EU referendum.
- Support the UK’s tourism industry and reduce your carbon footprint by avoiding taking unnecessary short- or long-haul flights.
Are you thinking about a staycation this summer?
We’ve got lots of information about leisure holiday vehicles to help you plan ahead for the summer season. Our wide range of quality used touring caravans, static caravans and motorhomes offers something to suit most requirements and budgets.
We’re an established, family-owned caravan and motorhome dealer and holiday home specialist with 40 years of knowledge and experience to help you make the right choice. Why not browse our website or contact us on 01255 821190 to find out more?